Friday, January 11, 2008

#2 and #2

Fairly early this morning as I was wrapping up a smelly diaper (courtesy of #2) I suddenly decided that today was potty training day.  I immediately started filling him up with beverage after beverage and after a few tries, he finally peed in the toilet. I made a huge deal out of it, we called Nana and Dad and then had some m&ms.  He successively peed 8 or 9 more times throughout the day, with no accidents.  However, there has been no poop. This child typically fills 4-5 diapers a day with the brown stuff, so today is certainly unusual.  I don't remember #1 having a poop problem potty training.  What do I do?  

My second p.t. concern:  So all day he went around with no pants or diaper on. Remember, I hadn't planned on this happening today, so I didn't have any underpants ready.  When spouse got home today, I ran to Target and grabbed a few packs of underwear. #2 looked so cute in his new Thomas the Train underpants!  But within a half hour of putting them on, he had wet them!  All day, running around buck naked he didn't have a single accident.  What is it with the underpants?  Unfortunately, this happened fairly close to bed time, so I felt undecided about what to do during the night. He's in bed with underpants on, but I'm so afraid he's not only going to wet them, but also.......#2 in them!  Mothers of potty trained boys, please share your wisdom.  (and anyone else with a good hint)


5 comments:

Amy said...

oh gosh... all I can say is good luck. Ty was over a full -year urine trained before he got the poop thing down. he wore underwear until he needed to poop -- then he would run and put a pull-up on, do his business, ask me to "change him fresh" and then go back to his undies. not ideal by any means, but it's just how it went with him. it took a really really really really HUGE bribe to finally get him to poop on the potty... the rest is history (and so were pull-ups finally)

let us know how it goes! GOOD LUCK!!

Peterson Family said...

I wish that I had the perfect advice for you. My first one was 4.5 years old (autism didn't help) and even though it took so long until he understood the concept, he hasn't had ONE accident since that day (well, he did pee all over the bathroom... but that was on purpose!) :) My second son was afraid to poop on the toilet but more than that he didn't want dirty underwear, so he forced himself to go on the potty. Lots of tears but it wasn't bad.

3 suggestions from other friends:
1) Dose him up with miralax if he's holding it, so that he can't anymore.
2) Take away his 'cool' underwear until he poops on the potty (only works if he really likes his new undies).
3) Get a REALLY cool toy or prize (just for POOP) and display it where he can see it, but he ONLY gets it when he poops on the potty.

Overall GOOD LUCK, your guess is as good as mine. :)

Megan said...

When you have it figured out PLEASE call me! I don't think there is an answer to those questions/ delima. Personally I think my own kid just hates me and likes to see my head explode, so if your kid likes you maybe you'll be all set!

JLJ said...

PT update. #2 has now pooped in the toilet. But still cannot keep underwear dry. As long as he runs around naked he does fine. So that means we've had to put him in a diaper at night and when we went to church. Did you guys do diapers at night?

happy mom said...

I know this was a long time ago, I have been so behind and so out of it, but let me just say - Sam was so hard to potty train. I feel like we have been potty training for 1 1/2 years. I stupidly tried to train him early because I didn't want 3 kids in diapers. that just backfired, even though he would do really good, he just didn't want to. both Sam and Amanda have always both gone #2 multiple times a day as you were saying 4 or 5 times. but when we potty trained for some reason they got down to only 1 or 2. so that wasn't the issue for us, the issue is the pee. We finally bribed Sam with a bike, he had to stay dry for a while, we made a chart. It worked for a while that was when he was a little over 3 years. Now he will be 4 in April and he has finally got it this last fall (I thought) but he has started accidents again. He uses it against me, if he has to go to time out, he pees, if he cries and gets upset he pees! It is getting better but then this last week he has had at least 1 accident a day! and he just wears goodnights to bed, we have talked about how cool it would be to wear underwear to bed and he says he wnats to, but he still wakes up soaking wet! a diaper won't even hold what he does at night! Sam does do really good if I just let him run around half naked, I had a friend that let her son go naked for 2 weeks and he was trained, she slowely added undies and then the rest of his clothes. let me know what you figure out, sorry this is so long, you struck a nerve. I only plan to get sam out of the good nights before kindergarten, maybe I can handle it then!