Thursday, January 3, 2008

Sugar withdrawl

Except for the occasional diet coke (ok, a little more than occasional) I would consider myself to be free from bad food and drink habits.  I'm no health nut, but when you consider all the people with alcohol, tobacco and drug addictions, my diet looks pretty squeaky clean.  However, because of the constant baking and eating of delicious buttery and sugary treats over that past month I think I might have a small sugar addiction.  NOT SMALL!  Every night for the past week, I've been going crazy craving for cinnamon rolls! peanut butter balls! peanut butter cookies with hershey kisses on top! Godiva Almond Truffles! sweet breads! Where are the treats? I need sweet treats! 

This really sucks. And brushing my teeth isn't helping.  

I'm not making this stuff up.  I learned in Supersize Me that your body can in fact form a legitimate addiction to sugar and fat.  

Anyone interested in forming a support group? 

12 comments:

MJ said...

I'm in. Every morning I bypass the box of my grandma's famous chocolates, only to indulge in the afternoon. I have been good about only eating 1 per day, but I make up for it by feeding the craving with fruity lifesavers. I need to stop eating junk.

Peterson Family said...

Hi my name is Alissa and I am a sugar/fat-aholic...

Supersize Me was a disgustingly true look at fast food... perhaps I need to watch it once a week to get my cravings under control.

I need help. :)

Audrey said...

I found you! Ha! And secondly, I saw you at the party and if you eat a lot of junk, it's not showing, so enjoy yourself. I figure we might not have all this chocolate goodness in heaven, so I'm enjoying it while I'm here.

MegaPPod said...

Count me in. Or at least send me some of your tasty treats.

Jami said...

Sign me up! My daily diet Coke doesn't count does it? After all, that's what DIET means right?

Megan said...

yes I would start a support group with you but will there be treats afterwards?
I totally believe you can be addicted to sugar although my college nutrition class says it isn't possible, but what do they know.... have they ever been opening up chocolate chip bags at 11pm because you can't sleep til you get something sugary?

happy mom said...

lucky for me I don't like to bake, and I don't have the soft drink habit like most, but I have a major ice cream habit. I don't want to stop that one. maybe when it catches up to me I will get back to you.

wait a minute Megan has a point I have been there. and worse, don't ask

Evecall said...

Believe it or not, Diet Coke can actually make you crave more sweets. And you know that second to Tricia I am the biggest Diet Coke fanatic out there. My new years resolution has been to give up D.C. I think it has helped a little, but if the sugar cravings get to bad try a piece of sugarfree gum or a crystal light packet in a water bottle, those are helping me with my late night cravings!

DKAZ said...

Problem, what problem? Just because I bought not one, not two, but three new gallons of Dreyer's ice cream the other night doesn't mean I have a problem...now pass the chocolate syrup!

Astrodon Johnstoni said...

Not my vice, but I'll gladly join if we can include the salty/ cheesy/ fried end of the spectrum.

birdie said...

Does eating sugar packets count as a sugar habit? I see it more like an appetizer - a sugary boost to help me through my meal.

Katie said...

Sometimes I feel better about just sitting down first thing in the morning with that big pan of brownies versus draw it out all through the day, ending with the same result. That way it doesn't call to me every moment and I can just relax!