Monday, January 21, 2008

All's Well that Ends Well


About half way through The Water Horse, #2 became a bit agitated by the suspenseful scene. He jumped out of his seat and ran up the theater stairs behind us, screaming in terror. Spouse retrieved him and took an empty seat near the top of the theater with #2 on his lap. I watched this unravel helplessly with #3 enjoying a bottle on my lap. A few moments later I was surprised to be approached by the theater manager who crouched down next to my chair.

"We've had a few complaints about one of your kids making a disturbance."

I played dumb. #1 was sitting quietly still next to me, #3 was in a milk drunken stupor in my arms. I looked at the man and said, "I'm sorry, what is the problem?"

"I've had two complaints about your kids running around."

"Well, I don't see any of my kids running around."

I felt defiant because my son was not the only kid out of his seat. And besides, who goes to a kids movie and is bothered because there are kids there? They deserved to be "disturbed."

A little bit later spouse and #2 rejoined us in our original seats. I told him about the complaints and we both rolled our eyes. But a few minutes later, during another tense scene, #2 shrieked in fear and because he felt so self conscience, spouse took #2 out of the movie.

After the show I complained to the manager and he gave me three free movie passes. All is forgiven. (Except for my precious pedometer that fell between two seats and is never to be seen again!)

8 comments:

MJ said...

So how was the movie? I thought it could be a real bomb. There's something about an animal living in your toilet that just disturbs me. Congrats on the free tickets. I love how you played dumb. And people are so lame when they complain while at a kid's movie. They probably missed more of the movie, finding the usher and pointing you out as the culprit. They weren't smart enough to ask the manager for free tickets.

Katie said...

That's so annoying - people are so lame. Good job getting free tickets though.

We too received free tickets to a movie that we viewed this weekend because the temperature in the theater the entire 2 hours was a balmy 57 degrees. I was sitting with my hood on and my chin tucked down in to my coat, as close to Nate as possible without looking unapropriate!

Katie said...

P.S. I'm so sorry about your pedometer mishap by the way. Very unfortunate.

birdie said...

The title of your entry is very fitting. Is this a comedy? Oh wait, hold the phone here - perhaps it's a tragedy.

Shakespeare would've loved this movie. However, he would not have been as clever as you to complain to the management and get free tickets. Perhaps it was because Shakespeare was the management.

Peterson Family said...

I agree that since it's a kid movie, then who ever is complaining can excuse themselves and exchange their tickets for another show and get over it.

My kids can't handle any type of mild scary... even scary parts in Disney movies send them running!! Some people should have a little compassion. Sorry that Spouse had to miss the end, due to unnecessary embarrassment.

Audrey said...

Way to turn that to your advantage. I agree, if you're in a kid's movie, you have to expect some of that. However, what I absolutely can NOT tolerate, kids' movie or not, is a child behind me kicking my seat or pushing on it back and forth. If my dirty looks don't do it, I will turn around and say something. Don't push your luck--I'm a lot bigger than you and I do Tae Bo every morning. Hi-ya!

Jami said...

I have GOT to start complaining more. You get all the goodies! Hope would love this show - she is freakishly fond of scary shows. Her favorites - Phantom of the Opera, Spiderman and Harry Potter. She loves to tell everyone about the scary people in the show. Guess I know what movie we will be seeing next.

KJ said...

So sorry to hear about your pedometer. I have started a collection to purchase you a new one.