Sunday, January 13, 2008

pedometer

I got a pedometer yesterday. Of course, it only arrived after I walked 4 miles, so my final step count was only 596 instead of the target goal of 10,000+ steps. When I pulled it out of the packaging, #1 grabbed it and said, "Cool! You get your own timer!" It doesn't actually time anything, but it calculates calories burned as per your inputted height and weight. Right now, my pedometer reads 3989 steps (I sat in church for 3 hours.....so give me a break!). That kind of sounds like a lot of steps, right? With 3989 steps you would think I had earned myself an extra snickerdoodle, right? WRONG! 3989 steps only burned me a measly 114 calories! Isn't that lame!

I've never given much credibility to calorie counters or calorie charts, especially the ones on treadmills. They don't even consider that I'm BIG BONED! Shouldn't that count for something? Big bones should be burning more calories!

Spouse hates it when I talk about being big boned. He considers it akin to having a "sweet spirit." It's like I'm insulting myself.

My senior year in high school my aerobics teacher had us figure out our BMI or some kind of health index. It calculated your healthy weight based on height, weight, age and BONE STRUCTURE. There was a formula to decide if you were small, normal or big. I was big.

So I just think that my nifty new pedometer should have had me input my bone size, then I'd be eating that extra snickerdoodle right now instead of complaining about it.

9 comments:

daisy said...

I saw the pictures you posted at Christmas and with friends at THanksgiving. Ummmmm..... if that is what it looks like to be big boned... I want some. You looked hot!

birdie said...

I use my pedometer to track how many steps I take going back and forth to the fridge each day. I figure the two counteract each other.

Megan said...

Way to not give in to that extra snickerdoodle! I am so impressed with you right now that I want to throw up that cake that I ate for breakfast!
While I have never actually been told that I am Big Boned I feel confident that I am and I agree with you that it takes a lot more calories to carry around these big bones than someone with tiny bird bones. Did your pedometer caculate carrying around a baby as you walked or the intensity as you walked? NO! you probably burnt like 5 million calories and could of ate the whole batch o' cookies with out guilt!

Anonymous said...

You are NOT big boned sweetheart! I really do hate it when you say that. For your height your bone structure is perfect and totally normal.

BigEd said...

You're hot. Big boned or not, so move on, accept your underlying infrastructure and be happy about the lovely facade on the outside. Oh, also, take off the pedometer. That's like weighing yourself after every meal. Pointless.

MJ said...

I know that you truly believe in this and will not be convinced otherwise, but I agree with Matt. Although, I am sure Matt says that so he can convince himself that he didn't marry a big-boned girl. And I know you don't post it for sympathy for your body structure. It's similar to my feet. I truly believe and KNOW my feet are gross and ugly.

Audrey said...

So, not to sound like a jerk, but I heard that theory of big-bonedness was bunk. Have you read up on it lately, 'cause I'm wondering what they are saying these days. It changes every other year it seems.
I myself definitely have a larger bone structure than my sister in laws who all max out at about 100 pounds. One is a ballerina--try hanging out with her and see how big you feel.
Have you been stalking me lately 'cause there are no posts you slacker. Quit walking and start typing!

DKAZ said...

You're big boned-#1 has a low singing voice-spouse just needs to accept it and move-on! I don't see you denying him of his need to badly imitate foreigners every time he picks up the phone. Moving on-what crazy notion prompted you to actually purchase a pedometer?! You're in perpetual competition with YOURSELF-makes no sense.

Peterson Family said...

I don't know if being 'big boned' is bologna or not, but I did have a Dr., tell me once that I have a 'Medium bone frame', which I agree with because I have seen other women as tall as me that seem to have a MUCH smaller frame that I do. Either way, if I exercised as often/consistently as you do... I would be a lot smaller regardless of my bone size!! I agree with everyone else... you look great!